Friday, February 22, 2008

Thing 2, Library 2.0

Wow! What a lot to think about! And I was reminded, again, while reading the articles how easy it is while on the web to click on a few links and get yourself totally off on a tangent! I could have spent several more hours wandering through articles and blogs on the topic, which is both thrilling and terrifying!

The blog prompts from 23 things mentioned time and that is one of the things I found interesting about the Abrams video. I liked his analogy about finding times for things you think are important, however, I doubt fifteen minutes a day is going to do it for me where technology is involved. I think that is why it all feels so daunting. I finished library school in 2001 and just since then so much has changed! Of course, not being in a library full time, or even part time doesn't help. But I do think that is why I really like the idea of 23 things. Most of this can be picked up, it just takes a few steps or shoves in the right direction. So, what I hope to gain from this program is enough knowledge to get me out there, on the web, doing what every twelve year old seems to know how to do now days.

As for libraries, especially small public libraries like the one in my town, I can see where Library 2.0 can really bring up some complicated issues. It seems like one of the most important points would be the people the library serve and how technology could best serve them. I teach basic computer classes to mostly older patrons, and they are really thrown by the idea they can renew their books online. I can't imagine trying to explain a blog to them. I think there is a real fear where technology is concerned (for people of all ages) and that needs to be taken into consideration. Yet, you can't fall too far behind the times. And most people seem to be open to new technology if there is someone available to help them out when they get stuck or have a question. I think there are some really exciting things out there that could get younger people more involved. My children are already fascinated with the computer at five and three and my only hope is that I can somehow keep up with them!

I also really liked the quote from the Ongoing Web Revolution article that talked about the transparent library that has "no secrets..connected, breeding the expectation for open conversation." I really relish the idea of working in a place where people feel comfortable coming in and asking questions, and expect good answers. A place where people do feel connected to the world at large. That is the library I want to be a part of.

No comments: